Dear Reader, |
"So what happens if the internet goes down?" |
Margaret asked me this over breakfast yesterday. Simple question. Should have been an easy answer. |
Instead, I sat there with my coffee halfway to my mouth, realizing I had no idea. |
She'd been reading more of Bryce Paul's book the night before. Getting deeper into how Bitcoin actually works. And like any smart person encountering new technology, she started poking holes in my explanations. |
"I mean," she continued, "if Bitcoin only exists on computers, and computers need the internet, what happens during a major outage? Or a cyber attack? Or if the government just... turns it off?" |
Good questions. All of them. |
I gave her the answers I thought I knew. Bitcoin runs on thousands of computers around the world. No single point of failure. Decentralized network. All that. |
But the more she pressed, the more I realized I was just repeating talking points without really understanding them. |
"How exactly does it stay synchronized?" she asked. "If there's no central authority, how do all these computers agree on who owns what?" |
I started explaining about blockchain and consensus mechanisms, but I could tell from her expression that I was winging it. |
"Glenn," she said finally, "you don't really know how this works, do you?" |
She was right. |
I'd gotten comfortable with the big picture stuff. The macro economics. The political implications. The investment thesis. |
But I'd skipped over the actual mechanics of what I was buying. |
It's like buying stock in a company without understanding what business they're in. You might have great reasons for thinking the stock will go up, but you don't really know what you own. |
So I spent yesterday afternoon going down a rabbit hole. |
Started with basic questions. How does Bitcoin actually verify transactions without a central bank? What's this "mining" thing really about? How does the network stay secure? |
Turns out the answers are more elegant than I expected. And more complex. |
The short version: thousands of computers around the world compete to solve mathematical puzzles that verify transactions. Whoever solves it first gets rewarded with new Bitcoin. This process secures the network and processes payments simultaneously. |
It's like having a global accounting system where everyone's checking everyone else's work, and the system rewards accuracy while making fraud mathematically impossible. |
Pretty clever, actually. |
But here's what really got my attention: the more I learned about how it works, the more impressed I became with the engineering. |
This isn't some hastily thrown-together internet experiment. This is a carefully designed monetary system that's been running 24/7 for over a decade without being hacked, shut down, or controlled by any government. |
That's... actually remarkable. |
Margaret came home from her book club last night and found me surrounded by printouts and browser tabs. |
"Still trying to answer my question?" she asked. |
"Your question led to about twelve other questions," I said. |
She sat down and looked at what I'd been reading. Technical papers about network security. Articles about hash rates and difficulty adjustments. Explanations of cryptographic signatures. |
"This is pretty sophisticated stuff," she said. |
"That's what I'm starting to realize." |
We spent an hour going through it together. I showed her how the network adjusts its security automatically. How transactions get verified by multiple independent parties. How the whole system becomes more secure as it grows larger. |
"So to answer your original question," I said, "if the internet went down globally, Bitcoin would pause but not disappear. As soon as any part of the network came back online, it would pick up exactly where it left off." |
"And if just one country's internet went down?" |
"The rest of the network keeps running. That's the point of decentralization." |
She nodded slowly. "Okay. That makes sense." |
Then she asked the question that really stumped me. |
"So if this technology is so robust and well-designed, why did it take you five years to take it seriously?" |
Good question. |
I think the answer is that I was judging Bitcoin by its early adopters instead of by its actual capabilities. The people talking about it in 2017 made it sound like digital gambling. The people talking about it now make it sound like financial infrastructure. |
Same technology. Better explanation. |
"Maybe," she said, "we should learn more before we decide how much more to buy." |
She's right about that too. |
I'm starting to realize that buying crypto isn't a one-time decision. It's the beginning of an ongoing education about how money and technology are evolving. |
And based on what I've learned so far, it's an education worth having. |
Stay sharp, |
Glenn Short |
P.S. Margaret asked me to find more resources about the technical side of crypto. Turns out Paul's research goes pretty deep on this stuff. Good thing, because we're apparently just getting started. |
P.P.S. If your spouse starts asking hard questions about your crypto investments, take it as a good sign. It means they're taking it seriously enough to want real answers. |
No comments:
Post a Comment