Friday, October 11, 2024

Slow down and pay your respects

It’s a lesson we all need to learn a little bit better
 
   
     
   
 
OCTOBER 11, 2024
   

Hey y’all,

It’s 1 AM, and here I am in Stirling, VA writing this newsletter. And I’m technically on “vacation!” 

The markets never sleep, and I guess, neither do I! 😂

So just remember for the future: I love our ProsperityPub readers!

Fair warning: this is going to be an “old man yells at clouds” edition of the newsletter, probably because of the late hour and my tired, aching feet.

But I think there’s a really important trading lesson from my experiences today… and instead of burying it at the end where you won’t read it (I know how folks operate!) I’ll just give it to you up front: 

Traders need to slow down, be quiet, and respect the markets. This isn’t a playground.

Now, let’s rewind…

I’m in Northern Virginia for a friend’s wedding on Saturday, and I took today and tomorrow (well, yesterday and today by the time you read this) off to do some sightseeing.

I spent Thursday walking around Washington, D.C., and I had a blast. Wow, we have an amazing capital city with some pretty unbelievable monuments.

And I hit a lot of incredible places today. Overall, my experience was 11/10. Can’t wait to do it again.

But I couldn’t help but notice something while I was out and about…

It started a little bit at the National Cathedral… 
 

Then I noticed it at the Jefferson Memorial… 
 
It got worse at MLK…
 

And by the time I was at the Vietnam Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial, I was downright ticked…
 
See, at each one of these incredible, breathtaking, borderline-spiritual places, I noticed that the throngs of tourists, many of them children, had abandoned all decorum and were loudly shouting, singing, screaming… basically turning the most famous memorials in the world into personal amusement parks.

And it really got under my skin… 

I mean, the one thing I’ve known about the Vietnam Memorial since I first heard about it is that it’s a serious experience that calls for absolutely silent reflection.

The National Cathedral is… well… a cathedral and the Lincoln Memorial literally calls itself a “temple.”

And yet, to most folks anymore, especially younger kids and teenagers, they might as well have been DisneyLand.

Now, I could give everyone a big, LONG rant about how we’ve lost our sense of the sacred in modern culture and how destructive I think that is, but I’ll spare you the seminary lecture for now…

However, I do think this is a bigger problem than just being annoyed by some loud tour groups when I wanted some peace and quiet.

I think in 2024, we’ve forgotten how to slow down and reflect.

 
“Measure twice, cut once.” 

It’s an old maxim from carpentry and woodworking, probably the kind of thing Lincoln heard a time or two in his youth in Kentucky and Illinois.

But the speed of life in 2024 doesn’t allow us the time to measure at all. Shouldn’t a machine be doing the work, anyway?

And when it comes to trading, that kind of thinking can be disastrous

Because no matter what tools you’re using, no matter how good the strategy, a trader’s intuition should still be honed carefully. You need to slow down and think about what you’re doing.

The markets aren’t a sacred place. Not in the way that the Vietnam Memorial is meant to be.

But they’re certainly a serious place with extremely high stakes.

And if you treat them as a playground, racing to make the next trade and move onto the next strategy, that’s a sure way to lose a lot of money.

Maybe that’s what you’re here for. If so, all power to you. But gambling isn’t trading.

Trading seriously involves slowing down, measuring twice, and cutting once.

It’s a lesson I think we need to be teaching our children, especially at the friggin’ Lincoln Memorial (I’m sorry, I’m not over it)...

But it’s a lesson we had better learn ourselves, especially if we want any success in the markets.

Hope you have a good weekend.

To your prosperity,

Stephen

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch our new Spycraft documentary, 3.5 years in the making

Also, Metaphor: ReFantazio is an instant GOTY candidate Our top pick of the week: The Great Game: The Making of Spycraft  Three and a ...