Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Two weeks to go

Here’s what our experts expect from earnings and the election
 
   
     
   
 
OCTOBER 22, 2024
   

Hey y’all! 

We’re officially two weeks away from the election — finally

No matter what side you’re voting for, I’m sure you join me in just wanting this whole cycle to be over. It’s been exhausting!

But for traders, the time is NOW to pay super-close attention to the markets. Volatility will kick up ahead of the election — then crest and fall after election day (it might take a little longer, depending on how long it takes for us to know a sure winner).

 
 
With that in mind, I thought I’d ask our experts what they’re expecting ahead of the elections.

I hope you find their insights helpful: I certainly did! 

 
 

Well, I feel like I can't change now…

I've been saying rip, rip, rip since Feb so I gotta stick with it
😛

Granted, that was the "general" timeline. I do think literally in the 2 week period, we will see some volatility here.

My guess is that next week, folks will start moving money based on who they believe will win. If Trump keeps gaining momentum which I think he has had the last month, I'd keep an eye on the ones we've talked about with fossil fuels, nuclear, crypto, etc.


So Nate has been one of our strongest bulls for a while now, and nothing’s changing there. But he does think volatility will work its way in between now and the election (see the chart above!)

Look for senergy stocks, nuclear stocks (Nate is a HUGE CCJ fan), and even crypto to get a boost if it looks likely that Trump will win on November 5th.

 
 

I see some reactions to all the earnings over the next couple of weeks, and some movement based off the job numbers and PCE stuff.  But more than likely, barring any bad global news, I think the markets are going to be in watch-and-wait mode.

Geof also expects volatility, which is no surprise. 

Based on his experience, and some research I’ve been doing,the real opportunities come after the election. 

Like in 2016, markets hit limit down on election night, meaning trading was frozen below that price level. But by later in the night, when the outcome of the election became clearer, a rally kicked off that would last for several weeks! 

 
 

That chart is pretty telling, actually. I think it’s an interesting reminder that the election really is like a pressure release valve for the markets. 

One way or another, we should expect to see a BIG move post-election.

 
NEW Breakthrough Allows You to Target Income…
While You SLEEP?!

 
 
 
 

Earnings are really the only catalysts in play right now.

Personally, I'd love to see some supportive moving averages hit (21, 50, 100) to offer "buy levels" as opposed to just watching the markets melt up higher.

US indexes, Gold, Silver, stocks - I'm treating them all this way.

I'm taking inexpensive stabs on some earnings (TSLA, UPS, IBM) and Mag7 comes next week with lots of market cap.


So Chris echoes the wait-and-see approach, but puts his focus squarely on earnings. 

In a volatile market, that’s a smart strategy because earnings are about the only thing pretty much guaranteed to cause a big move one direction or the other.

Keep in mind though that it’s high risk, high reward.

So don’t get foolish. Keep your risk small and limited.

 
 

agreed ^

tough to say what weight the elections play right now with earnings... if big tech bombs earnings then doesn't matter about elections, markets will fall -- that said i'm still bullish next 12 months or so overall.


Graham’s focus is squarely on the Magnificent 7 tech earnings that take place mostly next week (TSLA is coming in a couple days). 

He’s right that those will be a price anchor regardless if they are poor results. And Geof has warned me in the past that companies look to dump their “bad” earnings data in October. 

With that said, if Netflix (NFLX) is any indication, it could be a good season for tech.

We’ll have to wait and see!

To your prosperity,

Stephen Ground
Editor-in-Chief, ProsperityPub

 
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

🟪 Predicting probabilities

Are dollar prices in prediction markets the same as percentage probabilities?  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ...